Dr. Arnab K. Ghosh
Date of Birth: 12-12-1978
Qualification: Ph.D Biotechnology (University of Calcutta, India)
Master of Science (M.Sc.) :Biochemistry (University of Calcutta, India)
Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) :Chemistry (Hons.) Physics, Mathematics (University of Calcutta, India)
Phone: 020-24366920 (ext. 502)
April, 2013 – November, 2015
Post-doctoral Research Scientist, Dept. of Surgery, Columbia University, New York, USA
Research experience: Development of microbial infection resistant medical devices such as urinary catheters, central venous catheters and endotracheal tubes; development of skin and hard surface disinfectant compositions and evaluation of the efficacy of novel antimicrobial formulations
April, 2011 – April, 2013
Post-doctoral Research Fellow, Dept. of Pharmacology & Physiology, Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences, Rutgers University, Newark, USA
Research experience: Elucidation of the molecular mechanism of iron-sulfur (Fe-S) cluster biogenesis in cytosol of yeast (Saccharomyces cerevisiae) cell
September, 2010 – April, 2011
Post-doctoral Research Fellow, Dept. of Internal Medicine, Cardiology Division, Virginia Commonwealth University Medical Center, USA
Research experience: Investigation of the mechanism of reactive oxygen species signaling pathway in prostate cancer cells (DU145) treated with doxorubicin and/or sildenafil
July 2009- September, 2010
Research Scientist, Philips Institute of Oral & Craniofacial Molecular Biology, School of Dentistry, Virginia Commonwealth University, USA
Research experience: Understanding the molecular mechanism of iron uptake and virulence in gram negative anaerobic oral bacteria Porphyromonas gingivalis
August 2002- December 2008
Ph.D. programme at Advanced Laboratory for Plant Genetic Engineering, IIT- Kharagpur, India
Research experience: Generation of transgenic cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L.) plants expressing a reconstructed entomocidal δ-endotoxin gene cry1Ac of Bacillus thuringiensis, offer protection against lepidopteran insects, like cotton bollworm (Helicoverpa armigera)
Areas of interest:
- Infection control research
- Infection resistant medical device
- Plant bio-technology
- Qualified in Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE), conducted by Govt. of India
Incidence of microbial colonization on the surface of medical devices like urinary catheters, is a major problem in healthcare settings and accounts for an increasing number of deaths as well as high medical costs. Common complications associated with the use of urinary catheters include infection and inflammation, often beginning with colonization of bacteria followed by bio-film formation on the surface of the device. Bacteria can also cause chronic inflammation at the site around the implanted device, damage the tissue, and even very serious acute problems like septicemia.
At present, commercially available antimicrobial coated urinary catheters have been demonstrated significantly ineffective in preventing microbial adherence for longer duration and also largely unaffordable to the general public due to high acquisition costs. Therefore, there is an obvious need for effective antimicrobial coating technologies on the surface of urinary Foley catheter to prevent potential infections. Thus, the research objective is to develop a novel antimicrobial composition and method of coating to produce an affordable, safe and lubricious antimicrobial coated Foley urinary catheters, which would provide a prolonged and broad spectrum efficacy against uropathogens.
- Transgenic expression of onion leaf lectin gene in Indian Mustard offers protection against aphid colonization: M.A. Hossain, M.K. Maiti, A. Basu, S. Sen, A.K. Ghosh and S.K. Sen. Crop Science, 46: 2022-2032 (2006)
- Interaction of Prevotella intermedia Strain 17 Leucine-Rich Repeat Domain Protein AdpF with Eukaryotic Cells Promotes Bacterial Internalization: D. Sengupta, D.J. Kang, C. Anaya-Bergman, T. Wyant, A. K. Ghosh, H. Miyazaki and J. P. Lewis. Infection and Immunity, 82: 2637-2648 (2014)
- Fe-S cluster biogenesis in isolated mammalian mitochondria: coordinated use of persulfide sulfur and iron and requirements for GTP, NADH, and ATP: A. Pandey, J. Pain, A. K. Ghosh, A. Dancis and D. Pain. The Journal of Biological Chemistry, 290: 640-657 (2015)
- Evaluation of two novel alcohol-free oral rinses containing a biguanide and botanicals against ventilator-associated pneumonia pathogens using an in vitro biofilm model: A.K. Ghosh, S. Sahakian, J. Vaijanathappa, T. Biswas, S. Kapil, C. De Silva, J. Koberstein and S. Modak. Internatioanal Journal of Applied Science and Technology, 5 (6): 1-11 (2015)
Manuscripts under preparation:
- Efficacy of a novel antimicrobial coated latex urinary catheter against common uropathogens : Arnab K. Ghosh, Anand Zanwar, Mahabaleshwar Hedge and Shanta Modak (Manuscript under preparation)
- A Transgenic Approach for Developing Insect-Resistant Rice Plant Types: J. Bhattacharya, R. Mukherjee, A. Banga, A. Dandapat, C.C. Mandal, M.A. Hossain, N. Banerjee, A.K. Ghosh, A.H. Chaudhuri, A. Mandal, M.K. Maiti, A. Basu, D. Ghosh, S. Das, D. Basu, S. Mishra, P. Nayak and S.K. Sen. Science, Technology and Trade for Peace and Prosperity--International Rice Congress, 2006, IRRI – (Session 1.4- Breeding for Resistance to Biotic Stresses) : 245-264
Patent Application Publications:
- Title of the patent: “REDUCTION OF BIOFILMS ON MEDICAL DEVICES”
Inventor’s Name: S.M. Modak, R. Citron, S. Dongre, N. Baiju, A.K. Ghosh; US Patent Application No. US 14/194,381; Filed on February 28, 2014; Patent Application Publication No. US 2014/0178447 A1, Published on June 26, 2014.
- Title of the patent: “BIO-FILM RESISTANT SURFACES”
Inventor’s Name: S.M. Modak, A.K. Ghosh, R. Citron, S.H. Dongre, N. Baiju; US Patent Application No. US 14/564,920; Filed on December 09, 2014; Patent Application Publication No. US 2015/0118275 A1, Published on April 30, 2015.
- Title of the patent: “BOTANICAL ANTIMICROBIAL COMPOSITIONS”
Inventor’s Name: S.M. Modak, S. Dongre, J. Vaijanathappa, A.K. Ghosh; US Patent Application No. US 14/735,051; Filed on June 09, 2015; Patent Application Publication No.US2015/0265666 A1, Published on September 24, 2015.
- Title of the patent: “BROAD SPECTRUM NATURAL PRESERVATIVE COMPOSITION”
Inventor’s Name: S.M. Modak, S. Dongre, A.K. Ghosh, L.A. Caraos; US Patent Application No. US 14/853,070; Filed on September 14, 2015, Patent Application Publication No. US2016/0000094 A1, Published on January 07, 2016.
- Title of the patent: “BOTANICAL ANTIMICROBIAL COMPOSITIONS”
Inventor’s Name: S.M. Modak, A.K. Ghosh, L. Caraos; US Patent Application No. US 15/261,535; Filed on September 09, 2016; Patent Application Publication No. US2016/0374352 A1, Published on December 29, 2016.
- Title of the patent: “COATINGS AND METHODS FOR INFECTION RESISTANT MEDICAL DEVICES”
Inventor’s Name: S.M. Modak, A.K. Ghosh, C.C. De Silva, M. Hedge, A.A. Zanwar, S.H. Dongre, S.S. Kadam; US Patent Application No. PCT/US17/31969; Filed on May 10, 2017.