Dr. Preeti Chavan Gautam
Date of Birth: 1/9/1979
Qualification: M.Sc. Ph.D
Designation: Assistant Professor
Phone: 020-24366920 (ext.313)
Research experience: 7 years
Area of interest: Placental biology
2000-2001: Prof. P. V. Sukhatame Studentship.
2009-2011: Research Associateship from Indian Council of Medical Research, Govt. of India
Member, International Society for the Study of Fatty Acids and Lipids (ISSFAL)
The focus of this research programme is
- Understanding the placental mechanisms involved in uptake, metabolism and transfer of nutrients from the mother to the fetus.
- Understanding the role of growth factors in regulating cell survival, growth and apoptosis in the placenta and its effect on feto-placental growth and development.
- Studies on the role of maternal nutrition/stress on placental mechanisms leading to adverse pregnancy outcomes like recurring pregnancy loss, preterm birth and preeclampsia.
- Rani A, Wadhwani N, Chavan-Gautam P, Joshi S. Altered development and function of the placental regions in preeclampsia and its association with long chain polyunsaturated fatty acids. WIRE’s Developmental Biology, 2016 (In press)
- Rani A, Chavan-Gautam P, Mehendale S, Wagh G, Joshi S. Differential regional fatty acid distribution in normotensive and preeclampsia placenta. BBA Clinical.2015; 4:21-16.
- Khot V, Chavan-Gautam P, Joshi S. Proposing interactions between maternal phospholipids and the one carbon cycle: A novel mechanism influencing the risk for cardiovascular diseases in the offspring in later life. Life Sciences, 2014 pii: S0024-3205(14)00799-1
- Khot V, Kale A, Joshi A, Chavan-Gautam P, Joshi S. Expression of Genes Encoding Enzymes Involved in the One Carbon Cycle in Rat Placenta is Determined by Maternal Micronutrients (Folic Acid, Vitamin B12) and Omega-3 Fatty Acids. BioMed Research International 2014 ;2014:613078.
- Sundrani DP, Reddy US, Chavan-Gautam PM, Mehendale SS, Chandak GR, Joshi SR. Altered Methylation and Expression Patterns of Genes Regulating Placental Angiogenesis in Preterm Pregnancy. Reproductive Sciences. 2014 ;21(12):1508-17.
- Sable P, Randhir K, Kale A, Chavan-Gautam P, Joshi S.Maternal micronutrients and brain global methylation patterns in the offspring. Nutritional Neuroscience 2015;18(1):30-6.
- Sundrani DP, Reddy US, Joshi AA, Mehendale SS, Chavan-Gautam PM, Hardikar AA, Chandak GR, Joshi SR. Differential placental methylation and expression of VEGF, FLT-1 and KDR genes in human term and preterm preeclampsia. Clinical Epigenetics. 2013; 5(1):6.
- Sundrani D, Chavan-Gautam P, Pisal H, Mehendale S, Joshi S. Matrix metalloproteinases-2, -3 and tissue inhibitors of metalloproteinases-1, -2 in placentas from preterm pregnancies and their association with one-carbon metabolites. Reproduction. 2013;145(4):401-10
- D’Souza V, Chavan-Gautam P, Joshi S. Counteracting Oxidative Stress in Pregnancy through Modulation of Maternal Micronutrients and Omega-3 Fatty Acids. Current Medicinal Chemistry. 2013;20(37):4777-83
- Dhobale M, Chavan P, Kulkarni A, Mehendale S, Pisal H, Joshi S. Reduced folate, increased vitamin B12 and homocysteine concentrations in women delivering preterm. Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism 2012; Jul 61:7-14.
- Sundrani DP, Chavan-Gautam PM, Pisal HR, Mehendale SS, Joshi SR (2012) Matrix Metalloproteinase-1 and -9 in Human Placenta during Spontaneous Vaginal Delivery and Caesarean Sectioning in Preterm Pregnancy. PLoS ONE 2012, 7(1): e29855
- Sundrani D, Chavan Gautam P, Mehendale S, Joshi S. Altered metabolism of maternal micronutrients and omega 3 fatty acids epigenetically regulate matrix metalloproteinases in preterm pregnancy: A novel hypothesis. Medical Hypothesis. 2011, Nov 77 (5):878-83.
- Chavan-Gautam P, Sundrani D, Pisal H, Nimbargi V, Mehendale S, Joshi S. Gestation-dependant changes in human placental global DNA methylation levels. Molecular Reproduction and Development. 2011, 78(3):150.
- Kulkarni A, Chavan-Gautam P, Mehendale S, Yadav H, Joshi S. Global DNA methylation patterns in placenta and its association with maternal hypertension in pre-eclampsia. DNA and Cell Biology. 2011, 30(2): 79-84.
- Kulkarni A, Dangat K, Kale A, Sable P, Chavan-Gautam P, Joshi S. Effects of altered maternal folic acid, vitamin B12 and docosahexaenoic acid on placental global DNA methylation patterns in Wistar rats. PLoS ONE. 2011, 10:6(3) e17706.
- Chavan P, Warude D, Joshi, K, Patwardhan, B. Development of SCAR marker as a complementary tool for identification of Zingiber officinale Roscoe from crude drug and multi-component formulation. Biotechnology and Applied Biochemistry. 2008, 50:61-69.
- Warude D, Chavan P, Joshi K, Patwardhan B. Development and application of RAPD-SCAR marker for identification of Phyllanthus emblica Linn. Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin. 2006, 29(11):2313-2316.
- Chavan P, Joshi K, Patwardhan B. DNA microarrays in Herbal Drug Research. Evidence-based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2006, 3(4):447-457.
- Warude D, Chavan P, Joshi K, Patwardhan B. DNA isolation from fresh and dry plant samples with highly acidic tissue extracts, Plant Molecular Biology Reporter. 2003,21:1-6.
- Joshi K, Chavan P, Warude D, Patwardhan B. Molecular markers in herbal drug technology. Current Science. 2004, 87(2): 157-165.
- Kalpana Joshi, Preeti Chavan-Gautam, Bhushan Patwardhan. Applications Of Biotechnology And Molecular Markers In Botanical Drug Standardization And Quality Assurance. In: Genetic Resources, Chromosome Engineering, and Crop Improvement Series: Medicinal Crops- Volume 6. Edited by Ram J. Singh, CRC Press (Taylor & Francis Group). 2011 ISBN: 9781420073843
Kalpana Joshi and Preeti Chavan. Development of Sequence Characterized Amplified Region (SCAR) from RAPD (Random Amplified Polymorphic DNA) Amplicons. In: Plant DNA Fingerprinting and Barcoding-Methods and Protocols
Series: Methods in Molecular Biology, Vol. 862 .Sucher, Nikolaus J.; Hennell, James R.; Carles, Maria C. (Eds.) 2012 ISBN 978-1-61779-608-1.