Dr.Suresh D. Jagtap
Date of Birth: 17/9/1975
Qualification: M.Sc. PhD
Designation: Associate Professor
Phone: 020-24366920(ext. 213)
I. December 2009 till current: Scientist E & Head of Department, Herbal Biotechnology, Interactive Research School for Health Affairs (IRSHA), Bharati Vidyapeeth Deemed University, Pune. Working on validation of traditional knowledge with respect to Inflammation
II. February 2008 – November 2009: DBT- Post Doctoral Fellow, Interactive Research School for Health Affairs (IRSHA), Bharati Vidyapeeth Deemed University, Pune. Characterization of bioactive secondary metabolites for anti-inflammatory activity from selected medicinal plants
III. January 2005 – January 2008: Senior Taxonomist
- Survey, collection and develop database of plants of Maharashtra State
- Develop database on medicinal plant and first hand ethno-botanical information for Maharashtra state
- Generating database on occurrence, vegetative propagation and cultivation on small scale for RET plant and preparation of distribution maps for Maharashtra state
- Standardize various parameters like propagDioscorea bulbiferaation techniques, harvest time, state of plant maturity, drying conditions, and processing raw drugs.
- Extraction of plant material with various solvents and processing of extracts for active compound
- Develop and maintain the MPCC-RC Herbarium and Herbal Garden
- Co-ordination with taxonomist, village biologist and officers of Maharashtra state forest department.
IV. January 2003 – December 2004: SRF
- UNDP sponsored project “In situ conservation of medicinal Plants in Maharashtra”
V. January 2001 – December 2002: JRF
VI. August 1998 – December 2000: Field investigator
- Seed Bank of Western Ghats – Maharashtra, World Wide Fund (WWF) for Nature India – Pune
Area of interest:
- Taxonomy, Ethno botany, Herbal medicine, Biotechnology
- Junior Research Fellowship, UNDP (2001-2003)
- Senior Research Fellowship, UNDP (2003-2005)
- Post Doctoral Fellow, DBT (2008-2009)
- Best Research Paper Award, Dr. P. D. Sethi annual award (2012)
- Best Research Paper Award, Dr. P. D. Sethi annual award (2014)
- Best Researcher Award, GRABS Trust, Chennai (2015)
- Academic Brilliance Award, Education expo-Research & Branding Company, New Delhi (2016)
- New species published / Proposed: 03
- Member of animal ethical committee of ToxIndia, Pune
- Member of International Association for Angiosperm Taxonomy
- Ethnobotanical Society of India
- Technical Referee for Journals: Journal of Green Pharmacy, GEOBIOS, Science and Society, Journal of Ayurveda and Integrated medicine
- Member of animal ethical committee of ToxIndia, Pune
- Paper: 64
- Patents: 02
- Book Chapters: 01
- Books: 03
Herbal medicine department started in 2010 with an aim to validate traditional medicinal plants. In India out of 17,500 flowering plants, 8,000 species are reported as medicinal plants in folklore where, Ayurvedic medicines alone need 2200 species. Considering these great diversity, we focused on selecting and validating the most effective plant for inflammation which is the common condition in a large number of human conditions and typically involves a response to burns, chemical irritants, frostbite, toxins, and infection by pathogens, necrosis, and physical injury. However, chronic and uncontrolled inflammation gives rise to several non-communicable diseases and known to initiate and accelerate the degenerative processes. Thus, current work at Department of Herbal Medicine focuses on-
- Correct botanical identification and authentication of selected medicinal plants, besides their popular/common names
- Pharmacological and clinical validation of these plants using in-vitro biochemical assays and in-vivo animal models to ascertain their efficacy and safety with special reference to inflammation
- Standardization by metabolomic approach using modern analytical techniques such as HPTLC, FTIR, HPLC, GC-MS etc. to ensure uniformity
- Suggesting superior harvesting method and sites for raw materials, based on the quality and quantity of the desirable phytochemicals
International - 39
- Aarti Nilesh Narkhede1, Deepak Mahadeo Kasote, Aniket Arun Kuvalekar, Abhay Madhukar Harsulkar, Suresh Dyandeo Jagtap. (2016). Amarkand: A comprehensive review on its ethnopharmacology, nutritional aspects, and taxonomy. Journal of Intercultural Ethnopharmacology. 5(2): 198-204.
- Aarti N Narkhede, Suresh D Jagtap, Pallavi S Nirmal, Shital Giramkar, Bhagyashri Nagarkar, Omkar Kulkarni, Abhay Harsulkar. (2016). Anti-fatigue effect of Amarkand on endurance exercise capacity in rats. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 16(23): 1-7 (IF: 2.02).
- Pallavi S. Nirmal, Suresh D. Jagtap, Prasad P. Devarshi, Aarti N. Narkhede, Soumya J. Koppikar, Dhanashri R. Ingale, Abhay M. Harsulkar. (2015). Cartilage protective effect of Sida cordifolia L. and Piper longum L. is through modulation of MMPs and TIMP. International Journal of Advanced Research. 3(11): 440-488 (IF: 4.588).
- Aarti Narkhede and Suresh Jagtap. (2015). Screening of Amarkand species with respect to their Polyphenolic content and free radical Quenching potential. International Journal of Pharma and Biosciences. 6(1): (B) 1123-1133. (IF: 5.121).
- Narkhede Aarti, Jagtap Suresh, Kasote Deepak, Kulkarni Omkar, Harsulkar Abhay. (2014). Comparative immunomodulation potential of Tinospora cordifolia (Wild.) Miers ex Hook. F., Tinospora sinensis (Lour.) Merrill and Tinospora cordifolia growing on Azadirachta indica A. Juss. Indian Journal of experimental biology. 52: 808-813. (IF: 1.195).
- Pallavi Nirmal, Soumya Koppikar, Prashant Bhondwe, Aarti Narkhede, Bhagyashri Nagarkar, Vinayak Kulkarni, Narendrakumar Wagh, Omkar Kulkarni, Abhay Harsulkar and Suresh Jagtap. (2013). Influence of six medicinal herbs on collagenase-induced osteoarthritis in rats. The American Journal of Chinese Medicine. 41(6): 1407-1425. (IF: 2.755).
- Shital A. Giramkar, Omkar P. Kulkarni, Suresh D. Jagtap, Aniket A. Kuvalekar, Sourav Mukherjee, Rutika R. Jagtap, Ajay R. Wagh, Deepti D. Bandawane, Sonali S. Nipate. (2013). Anticonvulsant potential of commonly practiced formulations of Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri Linn.) in Wistar rats. Journal of Pharmacy Research. 7: 787-791. (IF: 2.667).
- Bhagyashri Nagarkar, Suresh Jagtap, Aarti Narkhede, Pallavi Nirmal, Nayana Pawar, Aniket Kuvalekar, Omkar Kulkarni and Abhay Harsulkar. (2013). Different ayurvedic dosage forms of dashamoola possess varied anti-inflammatory activity. World journal of pharmacy and pharmaceutical sciences. 2(5): 3118-3136. (IF: 0.629).
- Bhagyashri Nagarkar, Suresh Jagtap, Pallavi Nirmal, Aarti Narkhede, Aniket Kuvalekar, Omkar Kulkarni and Abhay Harsulkar. (2013). Comparative evaluation of anti-inflammatory potential of medicinally important plants. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 5(3): 239-243. (IF: 1.285).
- Bhagyashri Nagarkar, Rohan Kulkarni, Prashant Bhondave, Deepak Kasote, Omkar Kulkarni, Abhay Harsulkar and Suresh Jagtap. (2013). Comparative Hepatoprotective Potential of Tinospora cordifolia, Tinospora sinensis and Neem-guduchi. British Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 3(4): 906-916.
- Aarti Narkhede, Jaskaran Gill, Kajal Thakur, Divya Singh, Elangbam Singh, Omkar Kulkarni, Abhay Harsulkar and Suresh Jagtap. (2013). Total polyphenolic content and free radical quenching potential of Dioscorea alata L. Tubers. International journal of pharmacy and pharmaceutical sciences. 5(3): 866-869. (IF: 1.285).
- Pallavi Ghadge, Shital Giramkar, Megha Sangwan, Omkar Kulkarni, Asmita Wele, Aniket Kuvalekar, Suresh Jagtap and Swati Gadgil. (2013). In vitro free radical scavenging potential of common traditional ayurvedic extract: kashaya and ksheerpak. International journal of pharmacy and pharmaceutical sciences. 5(3): 676-679. (IF: 1.285).
- Jagtap, S. and Mukherjee, S. (2013). Plant Diversity of Gadchiroli district of Maharashtra, India: a checklist. Journal of checklist. 9(1): 51-58.
- Nayana Pawar, Anushri Kogje, Prashant Bhondave, Bhagyashri Nagarkar, Omkar Kulkarni, Abhay Harsulkar and Suresh Jagtap. (2013). Comparative free radical scavenging and anti-inflammatory Potential of branded market samples of an ayurvedic Formulation: dashamoolarishta. International journal of pharma and Biosciences. 4(1): 789-799. (IF: 5.121).
- Singh, E. A., Kamble S. Y., Bipinraj N. K., Jagtap S. D. (2013). Medicinal plants used by the Thakar tribes of Raigad district, Maharashtra for the treatment of snake-bite and scorpion- bite. International journal of phytothearpy research. 2(2): 26-35.
- Bharat Bhalerao, Deepak Kasote, Bhagyashree Nagarkar, Suresh Jagtap, Kishor Vishwakarma, Pankaj Pawar, Vijay Maheshwari. (2012). Comparative analysis of radical scavenging and immunomodulatory activities of Tinospora cordifolia growing with different supporting trees. Acta Biologica Szegediensis. 56(1): 65-71.
- Aarti Narkhede, Pallavi Nirmal, Rashmi Tupe, Omkar Kulkarni, Abhay Harsulkar, Suresh Jagtap. (2012). In vitro Antioxidant, Antiglycation and α- amylase inhibitory potential of Eulophia ochreata L. Journal of Pharmacy Research. 5(5): 2532-2537. (IF: 2.36).
- Omkar Kulkarni, Shital Giramkar, Gauri Ligade, Sourav Mukhejree, Aarti narkhede, Takale Santosh, Suresh Jagtap. (2012). Effect of pre – sterilization on physicochemical parameters and in vitro free radical scavenging potential of Saraswatarishta. Journal of Pharmacy Research. 5(5): 2657-2663. (IF: 2.36).
- Sourav Mukherjee, Devyani Phatak, Juhi Parikh, Suresh Jagtap, Shamim Shaikh, Rashmi Tupe. (2012). Antioxidant and antiglycation potential of a rare medicinal orchid Dendrobium aqueum Lindl. Medicinal Chemistry & Drug Discovery. 2(2): 46-54.
- Chandrakant Shendkar, Pranav Chandrachood, Sangita Lavate, Suresh Jagtap, Nirmala Deshpande. (2012). Antibacterial screening of Achyranthes aspera Linn. Root extracts. Annals of Biological Research. 3(5): 2202-2204.
- Sourav Mukherjee, Swapnil Dugad, Rahul Bhandare, Nayana Pawar, Suresh Jagtap, Pankaj Pawar, Omkar Kulkarni. (2011). Evaluation of comparative free-radical quenching potential of Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri) and Mandookparni (Centella asiatica). AYU, 32(2): 258-264.
- Kasote Deepak, Bhalerao Bharat, Jagtap Suresh, Khyade Mahendra, Deshmukh Keshav. (2011) Antioxidant and alpha-amylase inhibitory activity of methanol extract of colocasia esculenta corm. Pharmacologyonline, 2: 715-721. (IF: 0.16).
- Pankaj Pawar, Suhit Gilda, Siddhesh Sharma, Suresh Jagtap, Anant Paradkar, Kakasaheb Mahadik, Prabhakar Ranjekar, Abhay Harsulkar. (2011). Rectal gel application of Withania somnifera root extract expounds anti-inflammatory and mucorestorative activity in TNBS-induced Inflammatory Bowel Disease. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 1134: 1-9. (IF: 2.08).
- Omkar Kulkarni, Sourav Mukherjee, Nayana Pawar, Vithal Awad, Suresh Jagtap, Vikas Kalbhor, Mansi Deshpande, Pankaj Pawar. (2010). Ambiguity in the authenticity of traded herbal drugs in india: biochemical evaluation with a special reference to Nardostachys jatamansi DC. Journal of Herbal Medicine and Toxicology. 4(2): 229-235.
- Kshirsagar, R., Kanekar, Y., Jagtap, S., Upadhyay, S., Rao, R., Bhujbal S. and Kedia, J.: (2010): Phenanthrenes of Eulophia ochreata Lindl. Journal of Green Pharmacy. IP: 18.104.22.168.
- Suresh Jagtap, Subhash Deokule, Sourav Mukherjee, Aniket Kuvalekar, Santosh Devkar, Abhay Harsulkar, Pankaj Pawar (2010): Assessment of Nutritional value of some wild edible plants from Satpura hills of Maharashtra, India. Journal of Herbal Medicine & Toxicology, 4 (1): 77-82.
- Bhosale, S., Ghule, V., Aundhe D. and Jagtap S. (2009): Ethnomedical knowledge of plants used by the tribal people of Purandhar in India. Ethnobotanical leaflet, 13: 1353-1361
- Jagtap, S., Gilda, S., Bhondwe, P., Pawer, P. and Harsulkar, A. (2009): Validation of the potential of Eulophia ochreata L. tubers for its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant activity. Pharmacologyonline. 2: 307-316. (IF: 0.16).
- Devkar Santosh, Jagtap Suresh, Kale Yogita, Kasote Deepak. (2009): Antibacterial activity of Eulophia ochreata L. Tubers. Journal of Herbal Medicine & Toxicology. 3 (2): 31 - 33.
- Jagtap S. D., Deokule S. S., Pawar P. K. and Harsulkar A. M. (2009): Traditional ethnomedicinal knowledge confined to the Pawra tribe of Satpura Hills, Maharashtra, India. Ethnobotanical leaflets. 13: 98–115.
- Tukaram D. Nikam, Mohammad A. Ebrahimi, Ravisha S. Sawant, Suresh Jagtap, Pradip P. Patil (2008): Ecorestoration of Ceropegia odorata Hook and C. maccannii Ansari, Endangered Asclepiads, by Micropropagation. The Asian and Australasian Journal of Plant Science and Biotechnology. l2 (1 & 2): 80-83.
- Jagtap, S. and Deokule, S. (2008): Comparative study in L- Dopa in some species of the Mucuna Adans. from Maharashtra State. GEOBIOS. 35(4): 321-322. (IF: 1.243).
- Tessy, J., Deokule, S. and Jagtap, S. (2008): A Pharmacognostic study of the leaf of Elephantopus scaber Linn. An antidysentric drug. GEOBIOS. 35(1): 67-71. (IF: 1.243).
- Jagtap S. D., Velankar R. A., Ghule V. P. and Deokule S. S. (2007): Additions to flora of Nandurbar, Maharashtra. J. Econ. Taxon. Bot.. 31 (2): 227-234.
- Fugare Rameshwar, Bhadade, B., Chavan, B., Patil, S. and Jagtap, S. (2007): Range Extension of an Endemic, Critically Endangered species, viz., Brachystelma naorojii P. Tetali (Asclepiadaceae). GEOBIOS. 34 (1): 91-92. (IF: 1.243).
- Jagtap, A., Mungikar R., Jagtap, S. and Kshirsagar, R. (2005): The seed bank studies in Western Ghats of Maharashtra State, India. J. Econ. Taxon. Bot. 28: (4) 835-866.
- Jagtap, S. and Deokule, S. (2005): Rediscovery of An Endemic species, viz., Begonia phrixophylla Blatt. & McC. (Begoniaceae) From an area other than type locality. GEOBIOS. 32 : 307–308. (IF: 1.243).
- Jagtap, S., Deokule, S. and Bhosale, S. (2005): Some Unique ethnomedicinal uses of plants used by the Korku tribe of Amravati District of Maharashtra, India. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 107: 463-469. (IF: 3.1).
- Jagtap, S. and Rakesh, K. (1998): Melittopalynological studies on rock bee honey samples during winter season in Purandar area of Pune district in Maharashtra. J. Palynology. 34:(1-2) 157–162. (IF: 1.348).
National - 18
- Mukherjee Sourav, Kulkarni Omkar, Deokule Subhash, Gadgil Swati, Harsulkar Abhay and Jagtap Suresh. (2013). Oil Extraction from medicinally important plants by Pawra tribe of Nandurbar district (Maharashtra): Value addition and sustainable utilization with the aid of Ayurved. Indian Journal of Traditinal Knowledge. 22(2): 272-276. (IF: 0.492).
- Kabnoorkar Panchshila, Kulkarni Omkar, Jagtap Suresh. (2011). Isolation and identification of fungi from selected powdered medicinal plants commonly used in ayurveda. BVDURJ, IV(1): 116-120.
- Shital Giramkar, Rutika Jagtap, Sourav Mukherjee, Suresh Jagtap, Omkar Kulkarni, Prabhakar Ranjekar. (2011). Physicochemical standardization of Bramhi Ghrita. BVDURJ, IV(1): 103-106.
- Mukherjee Sourav, Pawar Nayana, Nagarkar Bhagyashri, Jagtap Suresh, Kulkarni Omkar, Ranjekar Prabhakar. (2011). Solution for cognitive disorders: An Ayurvedic insight. BVDURJ, VII: 87-94.
- Omkar Kulkarni, Suresh Jagtap, Prabhakar Ranjekar, Manasi Deshpande. (2011). Validation of traditional knowledge using modern biotechnology: a collaborative program between Interactive Research School for Health Affairs (IRSHA) and College of Ayurved (COA). BVDURJ, VII: 109-114.
- Pawar Nayana, Nagarkar Bhagyashri, Mukherjee Sourav, Kulkarni Omkar, Jagtap Suresh, Ranjekar Prabhakar. (2011). Ethanobotanical goldmines for better motherhood: Threshold for biotechnological exploitation. BVDURJ, VIII: 41-47.
- Omkar Kulkarni, Suresh Jagtap, Anitha Kilari, Sadhana Joshi. (2010). Traditional Ayruvedic diet for healthy pregnancy: Wisdom for ages. NIN Traditional Indian Diets and Health Care, Proceeding of Full Papers: 118-120.
- Suresh Jagtap, Omkar kulkarni, Anitha Kilari, Sadhana Joshi. (2010) Traditional herbal nutrition in pawra tribal women for better pregnancy outcome in Maharashtra. NIN Traditional Indian Diets and Health Care, Proceeding of Full Papers: 128-131.
- Jagtap, S., Mukherjee, S., Kulkarni, O. and Joseph, T. (2010). Ethnobotanical study of traditional medicines used by tribal communities of Gadchiroli, Maharashtra, India. Science and Society, 8(2): 157-164.
- Nagarkar Bhagyashri, Pawar Nayana, Mukherjee Sourav, Kulkarni Omkar, Jagtap Suresh, Ranjekar Prabhakar. (2010). Biotechnological solutions to meet the challenges in prospecting medicinal plants. BVDURJ, 2: 14-24.
- Mukherjee, S., Jagtap, S., Kuvalekar, A., kale, Y., Kulkarni, O., Harsulkar, A. and Pawar, P.: (2010): Dremonstration of the potential of Hibiscus cannabinus L. flowers to manage oxidative stress, bone related disorders and free-radical induced DNA damage. Indian Journal of Natural Products and Resources. 1(3): 322-327.
- Jagtap, S., Deokule, S., Pawar P., Kuvalekar A. and Harsulkar, A. (2010): Antimicrobial activity of some crude herbal drugs used for skin diseases by Pawra tribes of Nandurbar district. Indian Journal of Natural Product and Resources. 4 (1): 77-82.
- Jagtap, S., Bhosale, S. and Deokule, S. (2008): Ethnobotanical uses of endemic and RET plants utilized by the Korku tribe of Amravati district, Maharashtra. Indian Journal of Traditional Knowledge. 7 (2): 284-287. (IF: 0.492).
- Jagtap, S., Bhosale, S. and Deokule, S. (2008): Ethnobotanical uses of endemic and RET plants utilized by the Pawra tribe of Nandurbar district, Maharashtra. Indian Journal of Traditional Knowledge. 7 (2): 311-315. (IF: 0.492).
- Tessy, J., Deokule, S., Jagtap, S. and Lizzy, M. (2008): A Pharmacognostic Study of the Leaf of Barringtonia acutangula (L.) Gaertn. An Antidysentric Drug Used by Some Tribes of Kerala. Science & Society. 6 (1):51-60.
- Punekar, S., Jagtap, S. and Deokule, S. (2005): New variety of Ceropegia occulata var. Satpudensis. Cur. Sci. 91:(9) 1142–1145. (IF: 0.897).
- Jagtap, S., Deokule, S. and Watwe, A. (2004): Occurrence of threatened fragrant Ceropegia in Toranmal forests, Maharashtra. Cur. Sci. 87: (5) 551–552. (IF: 0.897).
- A Novel herbal formulation (OA-F2) for use in Osteoarthritis (Application no. 2509/MUM/2014). Full specification submitted.
- Novel formulation, ‘DF2112’ for the management of Inflammation (Application no. 207/MUM/2015). Applied provisionally.
- Tribal Ethnobotany: Ethno-botanical Korku and Pawra tribes of Satpuda regions of Maharashtra with the aid of Pharmacognosy, Lap Lambert Publication, Germany (2011).
- Triphala- a useful formulation for inflammatory bowel disease: Anti-inflammatory properties of Triphala: an important ayurvedic Rasayana. Lap Lambert Publication, Germany (2011).
- Hindu festivals and plants: Their Environmental Importance (Marathi). Published by WWF – Pune (1999).
Book chapter- 01
- Suresh Jagtap, Vivek Gour-Broome, Raghunandan Velankar. (2015). Study and Conservation of prioritized plants through village botanist – A unique approach. Recent Advances In Ethnobotany edited by Sanjeev Kumar. 197-201) Deep Publication, Delhi, India. (ISBN: 978-93-80702-09-4).