Dr. Supriya Bhalerao
Date of Birth: 09-07-1972
Qualification: MD, PhD (Ayurveda), PG Diploma in Bioethics
Designation: Associate Professor, Obesity Research Lab
Phone: 020-24369920 (ext. 201)
- Associate Professor, Interactive Research School for Health Affairs (IRSHA), Bharati Vidyapeeth (Deemed to be University), Pune, India (July 2013 – till date)
- Senior Research Officer, Sharadini Dahanukar Advanced Centre for Ayurveda Research, Training & Services (SD-ACARTS), TNMC & BYL Nair Ch. Hospital, Mumbai (July 2001-June 2013)
- Research Associate, Ayurveda Research Centre, GSMC & KEMH, Mumbai (Feb 1999-June 2001)
Area of interest:
- Evaluation of Ayurvedic drugs/ formulations & procedures in Obesity & Diabetes
- Providing Ayurvedic insights to current understanding of diagnosis & management of these two conditions
- Best Published Research Paper Award at Insight Ayurveda 2013 Conference organized by AVP Research Foundation, Coimbatore, 2013
- “Ma. Va. Kolhatkar Samshodhan Puraskar” by Khadiwale Shikshan Sanstha, Pune 2012
- “Jeevak Vidyarthi Puraskar” for Best Student (BAMS) by Nanal Foundation, Mumbai, 1994
- Chairperson of ethics committee, Cipla Palliative Care & training centre, Pune and KLEUs BMK Ayurved Mahavidyalaya, Belgaum
- Associate Editor, Journal of Ayurveda and Integrative Medicine
- MUHS approved faculty for Research Methodology and Biostatistics
- Member of ethics committee, Bharati Vidyapeeth Deemed University Dental College and Hospital Pune
- Life Member of Indian Pharmacological Society
- Life Member of International Association for the Study of Traditional Asian Medicine (IASTAM) India
- Life Member of Mumbai Immunology Group
- Member, Society for Ethnopharmacology- India, Pune Chapter
- Total Published articles: 35
- Book Chapters: 2
- Edited books: 4
The prevalence of obesity is rising in Indian population. It is rapidly becoming an epidemic in all age groups, both in males and females. This situation is alarming since obesity is associated with other co-morbidities such as hypertension, insulin resistance, and cardiovascular diseases etc. The current management options include lifestyle modification, drugs and bariatric surgery which have limitations such as limited success, adverse effects and cost-effectiveness respectively.
Against this background, our main focus is on development of anti-obesity drugs taking leads from Ayurveda, the Indian Traditional system of Medicine. The focus is to use Ayurvedic insights in order to upgrade the knowledge of conventional disease biology and usage of modern parameters for validation of basic concept of Ayurveda
- Banjare Jyotibala, Raina Prerna, Mansara Prakash, Kaul-Ghanekar Ruchika & Bhalerao Supriya. (2017). Triphala, Regulates Adipogenesis through Modulation of Expression of Adipogenic Genes in 3T3-L1 Cell Line. Pharmacognosy Magazine. 13. S834-S839. 10.4103/pm.pm_153_17.
- Bhalerao Supriya, Munshi Renuka & Joshi Samidha. (2017). Evaluation of the anti-inflammatory effect of Yograj Guggul: an in vitro study. International Journal of Phytomedicine. 9. 498. 10.5138/09750185.2122.
- Salunke Megha, Giramkar Shital, Bhalerao Supriya. (2017). In vitro free radical scavenging potential of trimad (a polyherbal formulation). International Journal of Research in Ayurveda & Pharmacy. 8. 127-131. 10.7897/2277-4343.083183.
- Salunke Megha, Deshpande Manasi & Bhalerao Supriya. (2017). Experiential documentation of Trimad for its anti-obesity potential: A survey of Ayurvedic physicians from Pune city. Journal of Ayurveda and Integrative Medicine. 8. 10.1016/j.jaim.2017.03.004.
- Bhalerao Supriya, Ranade Anagha, Vaidya Ashok. (2017). Letter to editor. Journal of Ayurveda and Integrative Medicine. 8. 10.1016/j.jaim.2017.01.002.
- Banjare Jyotibala, Salunke Megha, Indapurkar Kavita, Ghate Umesh & Bhalerao Supriya. (2017). Estimation of serum malondialdehyde as a marker of lipid peroxidation in medical students undergoing examination-induced psychological stress. Journal of the Scientific Society. 44. 137. 10.4103/jss.JSS_13_17.
- Bhalerao Supriya & Prasad BS (2016). Attitude of interns towards research as a career option. Journal of Ayurveda and Integrative Medicine. 7. 10.1016/j.jaim.2015.06.001.
- Banjare Jyotibala, Bhalerao Supriya. (2016). A survey of marketed ayurvedic/herbal anti-obesity products. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci. 8(8):384-386
- Bhalerao Supriya, Mohite Swati, Kulkarni Sneha, Deo Veena, Shrikhande BK. (2016). Effect of Lucronil® Tablets in the Patients with Leucorrhea: An Open Clinical Trial. International Journal of Science and Research. 5 (10);1338:1342.
- Wele Asmita, Pendse Nikhil, Takle Shrikant, Burase Raghunath, Patil, Sanjay, Bhalerao Supriya & Harsulkar Abhay. (2016). "Ayurvedic hydro-alcoholic anti-asthmatic medicine Vasarishta built upon MritasanjeevaniSura: Development and evaluation". AYU (An international quarterly journal of research in Ayurveda). 36. 10.4103/0974-8520.182746.
- Bhalerao Supriya, Patwardhan Kishor. (2016). Prakriti-based research: Good reporting practices. Journal of Ayurveda and Integrative Medicine. 7. 10.1016/j.jaim.2015.08.002.
- Munshi Renuka, Bhalerao Supriya, Nesari Tanuja. (2016). Evaluation of the efficacy of Brahmi ghrita in scopolamine induced amnesia in rats using Cook's pole apparatus. International Journal of Basic and Clinical Pharmacology. 829-833. 10.18203/2319-2003.ijbcp20161529.
- Mahajan Madhavi, Kulkarni Sneha, Deo Veena, Shrikhande Bharatbhushan and Bhalerao Supriya. (2017) Capsule Ibomic a Polyherbal Formulation for the Treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome Type - D: A Case Series. Int J Ayu Pharm Chem 7(1):103-110
- Panchal FH, Ray S, Munshi RP, Bhalerao SS, Nayak CS. (2015) Alterations in Lipid metabolism and Antioxidant Status in Lichen Planus. Indian Journal of Dermatology; 60(5): 439–444
- Salunke M, Banjare J, Khadke S, Harke S, Kuvalekar A, Diwan A, Pankaj M, Shukla S, Ranjekar P, Bhalerao S. (2015). Estimation of serum Copeptin (A novel marker of metabolic syndrome) in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. J Obes Metab Res. 2:191-4
- Thatte U, Chiplunkar S, Bhalerao S, Kulkarni A, Ghungralkar R, Panchal F, Vetale S, Teli P, Kumbhar D, Munshi R. (2015) Immunological & metabolic responses to a therapeutic course of Basti in obesity. Indian J Med Res.142:53-62
- Belhekar MN, Bhalerao SS, Munshi RP. (2014) Ethics reporting practices in clinical research publications: A review of four Indian journals. Perspect Clin Res. 5:129-33.
- Munshi RP, Bhalerao SS, Kalekar SA, Patil TA. (2014) Exploration of the Angiogenic Potential of Honey. British Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 4(4): 477-489
- Bhalerao Supriya, Munshi Renuka, Nesari Tanuja, Shah H. (2013) Evaluation of Brāhmīghritam in children suffering from Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. Ancient Sci Life;33:123-30
- Kalekar SA, Munshi RP, Bhalerao SS, Thatte UM. (2013) Insulin sensitizing effect of 3 Indian medicinal plants: An in vitro study. Indian J Pharmacol.45:30-3
- Bhalerao S, Deshpande T, Thatte U. (2012) Prakriti (Ayurvedic concept of constitution) and variations in platelet aggregation BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 12:248 doi:10.1186/1472-6882-12-248
- Sharma U, Bhalerao SS, et al (2012). Polysaccharide enriched immunomodulatory fractions from Tinospora cordifolia (Willd) miers ax hook. f. & Thoms. Indian J Exp Biol. 50 (9):612-7
- Dalvi AA, Bhalerao SS, Munshi RP. (2012) Effect of aqueous extract of bark of Alstoniascholaris Linn. on respiratory burst in Polymorphonuclear neutrophils (PMNs). IJRAP 3(5): 720-723
- Sharma U, Bhalerao SS, et al (2012). Immunomodulatory active steroidal saponins from Asparagus racemosus. Medicinal Chemistry Research., doi: 10.1007/s00044-012-0048-4
- Sharma, U, Bhalerao SS, et al (2012). Immunomodulatory active compounds from Tinospora cordifolia. J. Ethnopharmacol. doi:10.1016/j.jep.2012.03.027
- Kalekar S, Karve A, Munshi R, Bhalerao S. (2012) Evaluation of the Adipogenic potential and glucose uptake stimulatory activity of Phyllanthus emblica and Tinospora cordifolia: an in vitro study. International Journal of Pharma and Bio Sciences. 3 (1): 230-236
- Bhalerao S, Munshi R, Tilve P and Kumbhar D. (2010) A survey of the labeling information provided for ayurvedic drugs marketed in India. Int J Ayurveda Res.; 1(4): 220–222.
- Salunke M, BhaleraoS. Anti-Obesity Effect of Trimad, a Polyherbal Formulation: A Review Int. J. Pharm. Sci. Rev. Res. 2016
- Banjare J, Bhalerao S. Obesity associated non-communicable disease burden. International Journal of Health & Allied Sciences 2016; 5(2): 81-87
- Parab S, Bhalerao S. Choosing statistical test. Int J Ayurveda Res 2010;1:187-91
- Parab S, Bhalerao S. Study designs. Int J Ayurveda Res 2010; 1:128-31
- Kadam P, Bhalerao S. Sample size calculation. Int J Ayurveda Res 2010; 1:55-7
- Bhalerao S, Godse C. Malaria: Ayurvedic Approach for Management and Potential of Medicinal Plants. The Journal of General Medicine, 2010; 22(2): 42-6
- Thatte U, Bhalerao S. Pharmacovigilance of ayurvedic medicines in India. Indian J Pharmacol 2008; 40:10-2
- Thatte UM and Bhalerao SS. Ayurveda and Liver Diseases. The Journal of General Practice, 1999; 26(6): 46-50.
Chapter in book:
- Dahanukar SA, Thatte UM, Bhalerao SS; Current status in fertility regulation: Indigenous & modern approaches, CDRI, 2001, Herbal drugs for fertility regulation, pg: 67-89
- Thatte UM, Bhalerao SS; Regulations in Clinical Research on Traditional Medicine, ICMR, 2013, Regulatory Requirement in Drug development and Clinical Research, pg: 299-314
- Common Ayurvedic Formulations: Part II published by Ayurvidyavardhini, 2002
- Concept of Prakriti: published by Ayurvidyavardhini 2004
- Pharmacovigilance of Ayurvedic Medicines: Proceedings of Pre-conference Workshop, Update Ayurveda 2006, published by Ayurvidyavardhini
- Proceedings of Seminar on Regulatory Aspects of Herbal Drugs, published by Ayurvidyavardhini 2012